Blessing #5 {Grandma Winter's Bias Tape}
When I was 14-ish my parents sold my Grandma Winter's house. My grandparents had been dead for several years and my Dad was Grandma's only child. Kurt, Mom, and I went up to the house to get the last of the personal belongings that would be kept and throw the rest of the house items away to prepare it for the new owners. I am a sentimental girl, even more so then than now, and wanted to save anything of my Grandma's for me to keep that I could. My dad's mom died before I was a year old so I never knew her but was always fascinated to visit their home in the mountains and explore her sewing room. She was a professional seamstress and had all colors of thread and sewing gadgets that interested me. One of the things that I grabbed to take with me that last time I was at her house before it was sold was the bag you see below. Screaming 70's with the brown, green, and orange I thought it was awesome - and pictured it being her carryall for all things she crafted. Inside of the bag were several items that I have used throughout the years in my own projects (needles, thread, seam rippers, crochet hooks, etc.). As I sat sewing on some of Maelee's pillowcase dresses I remembered that inside of this bag was also a rainbow of colors of bias tape. I had been doing the dresses without it but when I realized I had a bunch sitting in that bag I started using it. It saved me a ton of time and made me happy to be able to go through Grandma Winter's bag and use her bias tape to help me make her great- granddaughter clothes. I bet she is happy to know that I am using her tools to make things with love for her great granddaughter, just like she made for me and my bothers and sisters.
Here's to you Grandma Winter's bias tape, you really are a life saver with these dresses! Since I remembered I had you I haven't burnt my fingers on the iron lately and I got to think about my Grandma Winter!
5 comments:
That is so cool! I am very sentimental too. I have a couple of little ceramic things that I got from my Great Grandmothers, and I have had them up since I was about 10. Bryan things I'm a dork for having them up. Pooh on him!
ah, to have a sewing table. :) i suppose my blessing should be that i have learned to clean up my sewing/craft messes in time to serve dinner on the same table. >:)
hey, me again! since you are really great at pulling off these darling crafts, here's a website that I look at for ideas. there are also a ton of other artsy blogs to choose from too on her side bar. check it out man! http://allsorts.typepad.com/allsorts/
Ok my sewing table looks worse than that... How cool to have used something of your grandma's for your daughter. My grandma died before I was even married, and so she never got to meet my kids, at least not in this life... I think stuff like that is so neat, when I see stuff of my grandma's it makes me miss her even more.
PS love your little dresses you are making!
Post a Comment