Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The Great Bow Compromise & Bow How To

Before Maelee was born I made this bow for her at a RS Enrichment activity. Here she is wearing it at 3 months old. She looks like a little Conchita Banana girl I think. The girl teaching the class is very stylish and talented. Her baby girl always wears the bows she was teaching us how to make, and this cute girl also sells them I believe on Craigslist. Anyway I was in love with the bow and still am. It is made out of ribbon of course, but the head band part is made out of girls tights. I soon found that it was the most comfortable looking bow for Maelee to wear and the easiest to stay on her head. Frank thought however that it was a little too much bow so he pulled it off whenever he had a chance.

So taking the knowledge I learned at the RS Enrichment activity I decided to buy a 3 pack of tights from Target for 5 bucks and make some more "low key" bows of my own. That way I had my desired bow action and Frank was less prone to pull it off her head. So now for your learning enjoyment here is a step by step of how to make these fun bows. PS - these are good for the winter time too because they keep heads warmer and can be ear covers too.


Materials Needed:*Girls tights,*Needle,*Thread, *Desired bow decoration (ie; silk flower, ribbon, buttons, etc)


(Step 1: Cut off a 13 inch piece of the tights and thread your needle)

(Step 2: Do a running stitch as shown below through one end of the cut piece of tights)
(Step 3: Sinch together your tights)

(Step 4: Repeat the process on the other end of the tights.)

(Step 5: Pull the ends of your sewed and sinched tights together)

(Step 6: Run your needle and thread through both ends several times to secure the connection)
(Step 7: Pick your bow decoration and attach it to the bow with your needle and thread. The pictures below shows the use of a brown piece of material.)



(I added a button on top of the brown piece of material because I like buttons, but as shown below you can do lots of things)
I hope this helps you make some fun comfy baby bows for the baby girl in your life.

6 comments:

Coree Adams said...

How freakin cute Kamarah! Those are adorable!

Enjoy the Journey said...

Ughh... I don't have baby girls. But I am impressed with the tights used as head bands! I will have to pass this on to my friends with girls!

Bethany and Cameron said...

These are my favorite kinds of headbands for Haylee--just like you said--they are the most comfy and don't leave a nasty indention in her poor head!

Ashley said...

Cute! Thanks for the step-by-step instructions. I saw these for sale in an etsy shop today for $20 each.

Brandie said...

Way cute! Maybe someday.....

The Chan Clan said...

THAT WAS SOME FABULOUS DIRECTIONS!!! That is funny, Rylan is the same with with bows, if he thinks they are too big then he pulls them off. (: I had to start making bows to (: On a different note, I have a question.. how does one get to be honored into the blogging grapevine? And how does it work exactly? (: